tenpastmidnight blog

Making hay while the sun shines

New websites, PHP and ColdFusion

I've been working on two personal PHP projects recently, one for a website I should be launching soon, and another for a local events announcement system which I should be open-sourcing once I've finished it.

As usual when I'm learning a new programming language, something works a bit differently and I end up writing far too much code, then going back to re-write it more simply once I've got myself in a corner. Fortunately, I've had some great help from fellow Farmies Alex, Matt and Tolan on the coding side, and several more Farm members with testing. My main website is almost ready. Before I launch I'd also like to get my new website for my freelance work pretty much complete, or at least a little less embarrassingly incomplete than it is now.

While I'm a big ColdFusion fan and wrote the early version of one of my projects in it, the high cost of hosting meant I looked to PHP for cheaper hosting and just as reliable a product. I won't be deserting CF completely, a recent memory upgrade to my iBook means it now runs happily under OS X via Macromedia Jrun.

However, at the moment I'm putting a lot of work in to getting better at PHP, which will be helped by the latest version of Matt's book: PHP in 24 Hours. He brought some to the pub last night, which were fallen upon so fast by fellow Farmies that I didn't manage to nab one, but have been promised a chance to grab one later. This latest version is very significant because it introduces the new object oriented code in PHP 5, which can be a very efficient way of coding, if you know how to do it right. So: ignore the little 'PHP 4.3' on the cover, the good stuff is PHP 5, and you're going to want to know all about it.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?