tenpastmidnight blog

Making hay while the sun shines

Oumou Sangare

Yesterday I went to see Oumou Sangare with David at the Brighton Dome.

I haven't heard a great deal of African music, and there's nothing like being introduced to it by a great group headed by a diva. The band played a mixture of African and standard Western instruments, including something that looked like a small banjo being played by a hacksaw, but sounds like a clarinet.

The support act were a fast replacement as the booked support couldn't get in to the country and I didn't catch their name. Two guys, two instruments and two voices managed to give a great set, even with the occasional sound problem. I actually found their section more accessible, when Oumou Sangare sings, nothing can compete with her voice, but I found it easier to get a handle on the music from the support act, just because there were less layers to deal with and it was all new to me.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?