tenpastmidnight blog

Making hay while the sun shines

Google Desktop Search updated

There's a new version of Google Desktop Search, which reads files on your hard disk and lets you search on them, rather than searching the web.

Last time I used Google Desktop I uninstalled it because it didn't serve my needs - it didn't read pages Firefox has looked at, and it couldn't search in OpenOffice, PHP or ColdFusion files. Now it can.

It indexes the Firefox cache as standard, you need one of the new plugins to handle OO, PHP and CF. To handle the latter required configuring the Any Text File Indexer when you first install it, which is very easy if you can write the stuff inside the PHP files.

It's indexing my PC at the moment, I'm hoping it's good enough to keep around this time.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?