tenpastmidnight blog

Making hay while the sun shines

One reason why Google is better than Yahoo

A few minutes ago I was trying to look up an odd term which describes how the eye adapts to low light conditions.

I knew it was called something like the 'pkunje shift' but I couldn't remember the exact spelling, and I couldn't find it in the index of Bruce & Green's 'Visual Perception', so I searched for the rough spelling...

I tried on Yahoo and couldn't find anything, no doubt due to my bad spelling. On the off-chance I tried on Google and up comes the correct spelling as a suggestion: 'Did you mean: purkinje shift'

Now that's a pretty damned good spell checker tool, picking up on an obscure phrase from neuroscience and matching it with my badly spelt version. Yahoo is a good portal, but it's still got a way to go with all the little things that help make searching easy.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?